Board development programme: NHS finance for senior leaders, October 2021
Date: 19 October 2021
Venue: Virtual event via Zoom
Board members have responsibility for ensuring that all services are safe, effective, and sustainable. This responsibility includes organisations being financially, as well as clinically, sustainable. As a board member with joint and several liability, there is an expectation that directors will have an appropriate level of financial knowledge and understanding to provide the required oversight and challenge.
Alongside a fit for purpose financial report, having sufficient knowledge and understanding to review and challenge the financial information presented is a fundamental requirement of any board member. Delegation of responsibility to a finance committee is not an option as boards must retain overall responsibility for such matters. All board members must be able to contribute to the debate in a knowledgeable and constructive manner.
This workshop provides a comprehensive overview of NHS finances to enable board members and senior managers to understand good financial reporting and what to look for, along with how to ‘join up the dots’ between monthly financial reports, the integrated performance report, and the annual accounts.
Who should attend?
Non-financially qualified board members (both executive and non-executive)
Senior executives and managers.
An excellent session which I would highly recommend to all board members. It was an enjoyable day and delivered in a way I could understand. I enjoyed the relaxed format and ability to ask questions and have discussions – has had a positive impact on my personal confidence with finances.
- Provide an overview of NHS finance and funding flows
- Review the core requirements of a board/committee level finance report
- Explore triangulation and assurance of financial reporting
- Help attendees to equip themselves to better navigate board/committee finance reports and annual accounts including what to look for and where to focus
- Provide helpful tips when reviewing a finance report to help spot emerging financial problems
- Provide an overview of sources of triangulation to support the development of robust and sustainable cost efficiency programmes
- Equip attendees with the knowledge and confidence to increase their understanding and scrutiny of financial performance and offer robust and effective challenge where appropriate
- Provides the opportunity for you to meet and network with peers.
Virtual course format
This course is a full day event running in two sections across the day.
Section one: 9.30am - 12.00pm
Section two: 1.30pm - 4.00pm
Please note this is subject to change.
How to book
Module cost per delegate (ex VAT) - Member: £245, Non Member: £295
You will need to provide a purchase order number at booking to confirm your place on this course. Card payments are also accepted.
Follow the booking link at the top of this page and create an account if you have not already done so.
This course can be delivered exclusively for your organisation with in-house training and can be tailored to your requirements.
An in-house version of this module provides the opportunity for whole boards to come together to reflect on their current approach to financial reporting and gaining assurance on financial performance.