Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust
Board Affiliate Pilot Programme
Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust (BHT) have been piloting a 12-month board affiliate role by integrating a doctor-in-training within its trust board. The board affiliate can attend public and private Board meetings and serve on a sub-committee of the board, which leads onto cohort two of the Trainee Leadership Board (TLB).
BHT became the first acute trust in Thames Valley to run a ‘Trainee Leadership Board’. This project sought to engage doctors-in-training by integrating the theoretical and practical aspects of clinical leadership and then putting it into practice. The TLB recommendations have subsequently been incorporated into the outpatients transformation programme.
Following the success of the TLB; the trust’s leadership were keen to explore further ways to engage doctors-in-training (and other members of the workforce in the future) with senior leadership.
This has led to the Board Affiliate Pilot Programme, which offers learning through hands-on experience to develop the skills required for future leadership roles by offering:
- Improved employee engagement
- Increase diversity and background of representation at trust board
- Provide direct insight into day-to-day operations of clinical activity
- Contribute to quality improvement at the trust through the trainee leadership board
- Recognise and support the development of future leaders within the trust
- Raising the profile of BHT
- Contribute to embedding cultural change within BHT
To find out more please contact Sue Manthorpe, Director of Governance, Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust