Comprehensive Spending Review 2021: Submission from NHS Providers
The upcoming comprehensive spending review (CSR) on 27 October will be pivotal in confirming a multi-year capital settlement for the NHS, training, public health and local authority budgets, and the specific support available to mental health, community, ambulance, and primary care services.
In this submission, we set out 10 areas requiring urgent investment so that the NHS can live with the long-term impact of COVID-19, build resilience, and transform services.
Our 10 ‘asks’ for the government for the 2021 CSR are:
1. Provide ongoing funding to tackle the care backlog
2. Cover the ongoing increase in the NHS’ cost base
3. Deliver an appropriate multi-year capital settlement
4. Support and grow the workforce
5. Fund ‘discharge to assess’ on a permanent basis
6. Urgently invest in and reform public health and social care services
7. Transform patient pathways
8. Deliver true digital transformation
9. Fully fund the New Hospital Programme (NHP)
10. Make meaningful progress on tackling health inequalities