Winter pressures in the NHS: opposition day debate briefing
Ahead of an opposition day debate in Parliament, NHS Providers has produced a briefing on NHS winter pressures.
This briefing brings together NHS Providers’ analysis of the last five weeks’ winter performance, as well the local and national response to demand pressure and the impact on patients. We also set out the wider context for the severe pressures facing the NHS, and our initial recommendations to respond to the challenges of this winter.
Our briefing includes:
- NHS Providers key messages on NHS winter pressures
- Analysis of NHS England's weekly winter performance data
- How staff are going the extra mile for patients this winter
- An explanation of what's behind the increasing pressure
- Local and national responses to increased pressure
- A section on patient impact
- The wider NHS context
- What needs to happen
- Further resources