Board development programme: NHS finance for senior leaders, London
Date 01 October 2019
PLEASE NOTE: This workshop is scheduled to take place at 09:00 - 13.30.
All board members have responsibility for ensuring that safe, effective and sustainable services are delivered. This responsibility includes organisations being financially, as well as clinically, sustainable.
As a board member with joint and several liability, there is an expectation on directors to have an appropriate level of financial knowledge and understanding to be able to provide suitable oversight and challenge when necessary. However, a number of governance failures have occurred because the financial challenge at board and committee level has been insufficient to manage the risk.
Along with having a fit for purpose financial report, sufficient knowledge and understanding to review and challenge the financial report is a fundamental requirement of any board member. Delegation of responsibility to a finance committee is not an option as boards must retain overall responsibility for such matters, therefore all board members should be able to contribute to the debate in a knowledgeable and constructive manner.
This half day workshop provides an introduction to NHS finances to enable directors and senior managers to understand financial reporting and identify potential problem areas that will require further investigation. This will include what to look for and how to ‘join up the dots’ between monthly financial reports, the integrated performance report, and the annual accounts.
Who should attend?
- non-financially qualified board members (both executive and non-executive)
- senior managers.
- provide an overview of the core requirements of a board/committee level finance report
- help non-financial board members and senior managers to equip themselves to better navigate board/committee finance reports and annual accounts including what to look for and where to focus
- provide helpful tips when reviewing a finance report to help spot emerging financial problems
- equip attendees with the knowledge and confidence to increase their understanding and scrutiny of financial performance, and offer robust and effective challenge where appropriate.
How to book
Programme costs per delegate (ex VAT) - Member: £199, Non Member: £235
We now accept card payments. Alternatively you will need to provide a purchase order number at booking to confirm your place on this course.
Book now to confirm your place.
This course can also be delivered exclusively for your board with in-house training. This can be tailored to your needs ensuring consistency throughout your organisation.