Governance Conference 2023
Tuesday 11 July | Grand Connaught Rooms, London, WC2B 5DA
boards in times of challenge and change
Our governance conference returns this year as a free, in-person event to explore the role of boards and governance, taking place on Tuesday 11 July 2023 at the Grand Connaught Rooms in London.
This year, our conference will emphasise the role of trust boards in making the duty to co-operate a reality.
We will consider how boards prioritise and retain oversight, and seek improvement, while addressing the dilemmas of competing demands for scarce resources in times of change. The conference will also stress the need to build common cultures between organisations as well as dealing with some of the nuts and bolts of the board role in collaboration and when grappling with sustained challenges at home.
Why attend Governance Conference?
Our Governance conference is a unique experience and the only one of its kind in the sector. Primarily aimed at chairs, chief executives, company secretaries and non-executive directors, it's your chance to:
- hear from high profile speakers on topics that matter to you
- meet members within the sector who are committed to improving governance
- network with your peers in our first in-person governance conference since 2019
- gain a depth of guidance and information that you won't find anywhere else.
"A great opportunity to refresh your thinking, learn from others and network with peers." - Previous delegate
Follow #Governance23 for all the latest updates.
As part of our Governance Conference, we will also be hosting our Governance showcase. The showcase is an opportunity for trusts to submit case studies of their best practice in governance and for them to share their work at our conference as part of our exhibition.
What is showcase?
Governance showcase is an opportunity to raise trusts' profiles and demonstrate their good work in governance. Those selected to be a part of our showcase will be invited to attend our conference, and will have a designed exhibition stand created to showcase their trust's case study and best practice at our conference.
If you'd like to view showcase videos from our online conference last year, you can here.
This year's theme
We welcome submissions of any practice that you think has improved governance in your organisation(s), however this year, we are particularly interested to see examples aligned with the themes of the conference, including:
- Approaches to sustaining board oversight of partnership and system risks and opportunities.
- Integrated performance reports/reporting methodologies that enable boards to clearly see the wood for the trees
- Efforts to build common cultures within systems or between partners.
- How non-executive directors (NED) challenge has been built into developed/integrated care systems (place, collaborative, integrated care devolved, etc.) decision making.
- Approaches to strategy, planning and decision-making with local authorities and/or other non-NHS partners.
We will be assessing submissions against the following criteria when selecting those to display their work at the conference:
- Is this replicable in other trusts/foundation trusts? Can others learn from it and use it?
- Is there evidence of a positive and ideally sustainable impact on the board, trust, your workforce and/or you patients/community?
- Would this work prompt useful conversations between participants at the conference?
How to apply
To apply for this year's Governance Showcase, please request your application form from our events team before our applications close on on Tuesday 18 April 2023. Once submissions have closed, the showcase finalists will be selected by NHS Providers' governance professionals, who will be looking for great ideas that are replicable and have been evaluated.
Get in touch
If you have any questions or concerns, please do get in touch with our events team.