Policy Advisor (Finance)
Salary: £51,000 + generous benefits
Contract: Full time permanent
Location: London (Westminster), but home working during COVID-19
Closing date for applications: noon 31 Aug 2021
Interviews: 15 and 16 Sep 21
NHS Providers is the membership organisation for the NHS hospital, mental health, community and ambulance services that treat patients and service users in the NHS. We help those NHS trusts and foundation trusts to deliver high-quality, patient-focused care by enabling them to learn from each other, acting as their public voice and helping shape the system in which they operate.
NHS Providers has all trusts in voluntary membership, collectively accounting for £92bn of annual expenditure and employing more than one million staff.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high performing team of policy, public affairs and analysis professionals in one of the most influential and high-profile independent organisations operating within the health sector. It is a crucial role within the organisation, helping to influence the national policy agenda on behalf of trusts and address key policy and strategic challenges.
This role will be responsible for influencing the national policy agenda on behalf of NHS Providers members, with a particular focus on healthcare funding and finances. In common with all policy advisors, you will have the opportunity to contribute to activity across all areas of NHS Providers including joint working within the policy team, as well as with the communications and development and engagement directorates.
In a given week you may be asked to do some of the following:
- Draft an 'on the day' briefing for members on a new piece of financial policy or guidance.
- Meet with trust leaders to understand the challenges they face relating to a new policy development
- Brief the chief executive before he attends a Health Select Committee in Parliament on the state of NHS finances.
- Author a blog giving your view on changes to national policy.
- Work with the analysis team to design a survey to better understand challenges our members are facing.
- Deliver presentations at national meetings of NHS provider finance and commercial directors to update them on national policy developments.
- Meet with senior representatives from NHS England and NHS Improvement to discuss developing policy
Background knowledge of the health and care sector and/or NHS finances would be an advantage but is not essential for success in this role – the key requirement is to have an appreciation of the policy implications of the portfolio. The role will suit those able to analyse relevant information, turning policy into meaningful insights for trust and stakeholder audiences, and be of interest to applicants who wish to broaden their experience of health policy, and gain a better understanding of the NHS provider sector.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter setting out why you are interested in the role and how you meet the person specification to the HR Team on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also complete the online interactive equal opportunities monitoring form above as part of your application.