The NHS workforce challenges and solutions
Workforce is a top concern for NHS trusts across the country, with staffing challenges now as pressing as the financial challenge.
This short overview establishes the workforce challenges and solutions for NHS trusts, including the progress they're making locally in meeting this challenge and the national support required if they are to succeed in this parliament.
Reference material is sourced from the State of the NHS Provider Sector (July 2017) and NHS facts and figures: The NHS at the heart of our national life.
Click 'download' at the bottom of the page for a printable version.
Additional references have been sourced from:
- Cavendish Coalition, Submission to Health Select Committee inquiry: Priorities for health and social care in the negotiations on the UK's withdrawal form the European Union
- The General Medical Council, 2017 national training surveys summary report
- The General Medical Council, Briefing, GMC survey of EU doctors February 2017
- Liberal Democrats, Lib Dems demand 'NHS passport' for 59,000 EU nurses and doctors
- Nursing Times, 'disaster' warning follows 12% drop in nurse training places
- NHS Digital, NHS Vacancy Statistics England, February 2015 - March 2017, Provisional Experimental Statistics
- NHS Providers, The NHS Provider Sector
- NHS Staff Survey 2016
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, New figures show an increase in numbers of nurses and midwives leaving the professions