On the day briefing: NHSI single oversight framework update response
NHS Improvement (NHSI) has published the updated Single Oversight Framework (SOF). The first version of the SOF was published in September 2016 and sets out how we oversee NHS trusts and NHS foundation trusts, helping to determine the level of support they need.
This briefing summarises the specific metric changes under each SOF theme, followed by a summary of the feedback from respondents and NHSI’s response, where this has been provided.
Summary of changes to the SOF include:
- Changes to improve the structure and presentation of the document, updating the introductory sections and summarising key information more succinctly
- Introducing a separate section outlining the five key themes of the SOF and summarising under each theme what would trigger consideration of a support need
- Changes to some of the metrics that NHSI uses to assess providers’ performance under the SOF themes and the indications that trigger consideration of a potential support need (including removing some metrics and adding new ones). Of note is the addition of a new standard on the reduction of inappropriate adult mental health out-of-area placements as standard for mental health providers
- Making clear under all themes that in addition to specific triggers, other material concerns arising from intelligence gathered by or provided to NHSI could trigger consideration of a support need
- Making explicit that providers are expected to notify NHSI of significant actual or prospective changes in performance or risk outside routine monitoring.