Aspiring Chief Executive Programme
The role of the chief executive in healthcare has never been more important. How we appoint to such posts and help our chief executives to be successful in their role is one of the NHS’s most important leadership issues.
What is the Aspiring Chief Executive Programme?
The Aspiring Chief Executive Programme is a collaboration between NHS Improvement, NHS Providers and the NHS Leadership Academy. These organisations have designed a programme to prepare those with the potential to become chief executives, ensuring they have the right skills, attitudes and behaviours to build a better NHS.
Who is it for?
Applications are open to those at director level who aspire to lead at chief executive level in an NHS accountable role, focused on both service provision and system development, within the next 12-24 months.
This programme will appeal to exceptional individuals who may be NHS executives in NHS provider Trusts, or those operating in senior systems leadership roles with responsibility for achieving significant organisational collaboration.
Why join the programme?
The programme will enable you to:
- Understand the demands of a Chief Executive role, including leading the development of strategy, managing an effective executive team and the organisational culture
- Engage effectively with patients, service users, carers and families of all backgrounds, enabling person-centred care in the local environment
- Develop a critical awareness of your personal leadership style, your bias, blind spots and attitudes to diversity
- Lead with confidence in a transforming health and social care landscape and take courageous decisions
- Gain a solid understanding of the regulatory and fiscal environment, statutory and regulatory duties, risk and audit, and corporate governance
- Create the right conditions for frontline staff, irrespective of their background.
How to join the Aspiring Chief Executive Programme
Applications open on 1 May for the third cohort of the programme.
Candidates who are successful at the application stage will be asked to attend a half-day assessment centre consisting of a panel interview, patient engagement exercise and group exercise to be held over 3 and 4 July 2018 in London.
The closing date for applications is Friday 1 June 2018 at 10am.
For more information and to check eligibility please visit the Leadership Academy website.